Discounts, Freebies & Other Goodies!

* indicates required

the easiest dress you'll ever "make"

Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Got a tip about an $8 dress and a 30% off coupon at Old Navy,
thus making the dress $5.60.
Gotta get it when it's cheap.
It's not a dress I'll wear in public,
but will be perfect for home during the hot prego months
of May, June, July, August, and September.

I love to browse Old Navy's clearance section.
I've found some of my very favorite pants there.
While I was not looking for pants today,
I wanted to find a few shirts that would work for
those aformentioned hot prego months.

So, I found this cute, green and grey striped tank top.
Naomi kept asking if it was a dress for her...
which got me thinking...
I bet I could make one into a dress for her.
So, I searched in the "small" section
and found the same shirt.
I quickly tried it on her over her clothes
to make sure it would be long enough...

then took it home and got to work.
During nap time I made Naomi a dress.
And it took me all of 5 minutes.

I had her try on the dress at home
and pinned where I needed to shorten the straps.
Then I just sewed the straps
(right sides facing)
to make them shorter.
Then once I made sure it would fit her correctly
I cut the extra strap fabric off
and finished with a zig-zag stitch.
Then she put it on and had the biggest smile.
You can't really tell from the photos
because she was more concerned with
"posing" just right for me than smiling.

I know the shoulders aren't perfect.
But it doesn't really bother me.
Her hair covers it up and really
I just see this as an "at home" dress.
She usually asks to wear a dress everyday
and she likes to have her
"shoulders sticking out"I think it would also make a great
swimsuit cover-up!
She kept asking if she could wear it to church.
And she told me a bunch of times how much she
LOVES her new dress.

Makes me happy to see her smile
over something so simple!
clearance tank top at Old Navy: $3.99
Huge smile on her face: priceless!
Gotta go find some more cheap tank tops!
giveaways
make it wear it
Amy said...

Really cute and so simple! One more reason why I want to get a sewing machine!!

Lanie said...

What a great idea and she is such a doll. I am going to have to learn how to use the machine I bought a couple of weeks ago. Glad you are feeling better! ~Lanie

Jess said...

Great idea! I love it!

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

Nice work! She looks like she adores it! Stop by and link up at my wekly party Make It Wear It @ TheTrainToCrazy.com!

Simply Domestic said...

Love it!! I think its simple enough that I could make. Thanks for the idea. Glad I found your blog!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Adorable...and so clever! Thanks for sharing!

On My Instagram