Discounts, Freebies & Other Goodies!

* indicates required

rest

Thursday, August 13, 2009
I was talking with my friend Katherine last night...(she's going to get her own post so just wait for it) and we were talking about taking a rest. She has four children ranging in age from 13 to 10 months. She has a set time every week for a little "me" time.
I commended her for this.
She told me that I need to get some consistent time too.
I know I do.
I just have a hard time asking for help.

It's funny how God allows certain conversations and then hits you over the head with the exact same thing the next day in a different way. My Bible study this morning was all about rest. It started with the seventh day of creation and then moved to the Isrealites wandering in the desert. It talked about how they had to collect enough mana for two days on Saturday. How they had to prepare for their rest.
I too need to prepare for my rest.
I don't have the ability to just up and "rest".
I have to get a babysitter.
So, I consider that my "gathering enough mana for two days"

I just want to share with all you moms out there who are dealing with the mommy-guilt about resting.
It's SO important.
Not only for you...but for your husband...and for your kids...

Here's how Jen put it:
"Just remember this: The Sabbath is holy to God. It is not optional. And it's certainly not selfish of lazy. The Sabbath is mentioned 151 times in the Bible. The God of the universe modeled rest at the beginning of time. If it's good enough for Him, it's good enough for you. Please, Friend, decide when and how long you will care for your mind and body. I have friends who jog, but that would ruin my day. I want a book and a bath at night. Figure out what your rest looks like and embrace it guilt-free. Your happiness, your health, and your relationships depend on it.

"Bear in mind that the Lord has given you the Sabbath. (Exodus 16:29)"

So there you have it. Now, go get some rest.
And pray that I would have the courage to ask for help
(or that help would just come and knock on my door :))

*The Bible study book I'm reading right now is awesome. It's called "Makeover: revitalizing the many roles you fill" by Jen Hatmaker

I would totally recommend this book to any ladies out there. It's not just for stay at home moms. In fact, this book prompted my friendship with Katherine...more on that later!
Katherine Marie! said...

I so enjoyed our conversation last night!

And you my dear, have such a beautiful way with words---- "The God of the universe modeled rest at the beginning of time. If it's good enough for Him, it's good enough you."

ohhhh so true. :) Thanks for sharing this post.

On My Instagram