Discounts, Freebies & Other Goodies!

* indicates required

my "garden"

Friday, May 13, 2011
I've never really attempted growing my own fruits and veggies before. Okay, I'll admit it, I did try once when we lived in Texas.But if you've never gardened before Texas is NOT the place to try for the first time. You will kill things faster than you can imagine, things will dry out, curl up and die...or at least that's what happened to me. Well, we now live closer to the midwest (where I know a little more about gardening because my dad always had a HUGE garden every summer) and I thought I'd give it a try again. But since we are renting our home I didn't feel right about planting a permanent garden. So, I decided to try the bucket garden method...or pots if you want to call them that, whatever you wish. I got all my plants from Wal-Mart...yes, I shop at walmart...don't sue me. I also bought my soil there (of which I need to get more) and my buckets. I got plants that had already been started because that just seemed dummy proof to me.

We've had lots of rain and some good sunshine. I put the plants under the cover of the overhang for a while when it was raining non-stop and I'm glad I did so that they didn't drown. I put them out in the sunshine for a while too. They are all doing pretty good so far. And imagine my surprise when I went out to water them the other day and saw to strawberries growing. I only bought the strawberry plant because Naomi asked me to, I figured that would just be a plant to look at with pretty flowers...didn't imagine it would be the first one to produce anything! One of my tomato plants looks like it has issues and my cousin told me to get some insecticide/pesticide spray for it. Anyway, if I don't get a good crop that's okay. I've got lessons to learn. And I can't wait till I can plant a proper garden and plant a LOT more things! I love the idea of going out to my garden to get some fresh veggies for dinner. I'm also going to get some herbs to plant and will probably keep those inside. Anyway, that's my gardening story for now. I'll keep you posted on my progress!







Tomato plant...


Three more tomato plants...






Left to right: long neck squash, cucumber, two red bell peppers...I realize these probably need more room. I may go get another bucket and transplant two of these...


...and it's fun to have another thing to photograph.



Any tips or pointers for me and gardening...really, I am new at this so I'm all ears!
Luke's parents said...

Good for you. I'm with you. We dug up some space behind the garage and actually just put the seeds in the ground today. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'd love to have a few fruits and veggies I don't have to pay for. I'll be watching your progress! :)

Jennifer said...

I was going to try gardening this year, but I never got around to it. Maybe next year when I don't have twinfants! By then they'll be a year and a half and require less direct attention! Yours look great!

km said...

I love your pictures! So PRETTY! I've never EVER been able to grow ANYTHING... I think you are off to great start!

On My Instagram