Discounts, Freebies & Other Goodies!

* indicates required

tube time

Sunday, September 20, 2009
guilty...
yes, we watch TOO much TV.
I know, yet I still turn it on.
When Naomi starts talking about Darby
and Handy Manny as if they are her actual playmates
I realize that it's too much.

"But I just want some quiet"
"I just want to read my Bible"
"Just a few more minutes of sleep"
just...just...just...

She'll JUST be two for two more weeks.
She'll never be at this place in her life EVER again.
Who knows how long God has planned for us to be together.
We need to make the most of it. tired or not.
I was reading this article on ChristianityToday.com
and was once again convicted.

Maybe I'll talk with Greg and we'll do a no TV for a month thing...
Or maybe just our Sunday night family tradition of pizza and "funny bideos" (AFV)
Who knows, but I know that something needs to change
and it all starts with me...

I'm trying to think "outside" the box here!!!
Katherine Marie! said...

I love your no TV for a month... or you could try no TV for a week?? I've been thinking about going unplugged once a week--- gee that will be so hard for me! I came from two vastly different kinds of parents-- my mom- no tv what-so-ever and my dad-TV in my room (they were divorced). For us, what mostly works is moderation. TV as a treat, not a norm. Let us know how you find balance with this hard one!!!!

Kari said...

Jason and I have been discussing the same thing! Cancel cable and see how life goes...can't wait to find out what you decide. I'm not ready to commit yet. I'm not sure how'd I'd like it while I'm home all day...

Catherine Piepenbrink said...

Jamie, you can do it! We canceled cable months ago when I decided to stay home w/Lily, and I think life has been SO MUCH BETTER without it! Now Eric would probably say something else about it, as I know he misses his sports. But it is saving us about $80 per month, which is significant. We also have an "absolutely no TV" rule for Lily until she is 2, and then I plan to only let her have a very minimum of screen time. Studies show that parents who have the TV on talk to their children much less, so I encourage you to try no TV (at least with kids around) for a month! I literally NEVER turn it on during the day when I'm home, and I don't mind at all. Eric and I do enjoy it in the evenings, but we don't get many channels, so there are many nights when we turn it off and read or (gasp!) spend time together TALKING! You can do it!

Rachel Hill said...

Did you know it's National TV Turnoff Week this week?!
We (correction: I) had not intentions of showing Xavier any TV before age 2. And then his daddy showed him some YouTube clips of Bear in the Big Blue House and eventually we ordered a couple of those videos. He hardly ever watched them until our house went on the market. And then those videos saved me when I got one of those get-out-of-your-house-with-your-toddler-and-please-have-it-perfectly-clean-before-you-leave phone calls. And then we moved. And then Jordan was born and Xavier liked to hit him on the head. :)
I do think it is quite different with two (or multiple) kids than just one, BUT that being said, we are working on it too! Good luck!

Rachel Hill said...

Oh and I agree with Catherine that not having cable makes it not that much fun to watch! But PBS Kids has good kids programs, so that doesn't necessarily help with Xavier...

Jamie said...

I was totally the mom that was like we will not let Naomi watch TV till she's two and really we did a pretty good job of that. I know what all the studies say...so I wanted the best for her. When Micah came around the TV got turned on a little more. Mommy needed a little more sleep or sister needed to be distracted while Micah ate you know the drill. Then it became an every morning thing. Naomi would watch cartoons while I went in the other room to do my Bible study or sometimes even back to bed. Well, it's just gotta stop. Losing the cable is not an option really... with Greg's crazy (and i mean that in the best way) he needs a way to unwind...enter sportcenter. Anyway, Micah doesn't care much for TV and neither do I. So, basically this is a detox program for Naomi more than anyone. Day 1 is going pretty good.

Rachel Hill said...

A little hard to believe that my husband is surviving without SportsCenter and ESPN too, but it's being done. I guess partly because he's hardly home enough to watch it right now with new teaching job! What really stinks (for me, not Matt) is the Cardinals are on cable now, not regular channels, so we don't see those :( Good job with the detox. We did good here yesterday too, but this morning I did resort to a little PBS as I ran around trying to get out of the house on time for MOPS!

On My Instagram