Discounts, Freebies & Other Goodies!

* indicates required

m-i-c-k-e-y

Saturday, September 27, 2008
m-o-u-s-e cake! Naomi is turning two on Wednesday...isn't that crazy?! I have a 2 year old! Anyway, we're not really having a big birthday party because... well, we have our reasons and if you really want to hear them then ask and I'll tell you why. But we're having a bbq with some friends from church on Sunday evening...most of those friends have kids Naomi's age, so that will be nice for her to have another time to play with them (they don't really know it's her birthday either). Anyway, I was trying to think of what to do for her cake. I thought of a ladybug...but then thought better of it because I'm not even sure she knows what a ladybug is.

And then (obviously by the title of this post) I came to the conclusion to do a Mickey Mouse cake. Naomi knows who Mickey is and she really likes Mickey Mouse. But the problem was, how am I going to pull off a Mickey Mouse cake? I looked online to get some ideas and just didn't feel confident in my abilities to free hand with frosting Mickey's face on a cake. Then I came across this tutorial and the problem was solved. Or so I thought. I tried to figure out how I could make this cake without a round cake pan?! Who has a round cake pan? Not the flat round, but the round round cake pans (obviously some people do, but my bakeware is not up to par). So, I decided to use a pyrex glass mixing bowl and fill it about 1/3 of the way full. I made it just like the tutorial on the blog that I mentioned before so I won't bore you with my details. If you want to find out how I did it just go there (but don't compare mine with hers because she's light years ahead of me). Anyway, I'm happy with the way it turned out! Since I didn't have the correct bowl it was a little shorter, but cute none-the-less. I wrote her name on the back of the hat/cake because I remember my mom's Mickey Mouse hat has her name embroidered on the back. So, how do you like my Mickey Mouse cake? I hope the ears don't fall off before Naomi gets to blow out the candles! Let's see, what can I make for next year? ha! I won't be planning that till the day before! ha!

On My Instagram